Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Valentines Day

Well, now that Valentines Day is over, I can publish what I made my girls this year.  I have had this idea for a few years, but it takes some advance planning and it would alway slip my mind until it was too late to order the supplies.

For Valentines Day, I made each of my girls a heart shaped buckwheat seed heating pad.  I actually received one as a gift about 10 years ago and we have all used it many times.

I found the buckwheat seeds here.  I wasn't sure of how much seed I would need, so I ordered a 10# bag.  I weighed the heating pad I own and it weighed about 14.5 ounces so that was the weight I went with. I purchased a bottle of lavender essential oil from the local GNC store and divided the seed into 10 ziplock baggies and placed about 3-4 drops of essential oil into each bag. I let the bags sit for about a week so the oil would absorb into the seeds.

Next, I searched the internet for a heart shape that I liked. I wanted one that was asymmetrical so the pressure was off to make a "perfect" heart. I don't sew often so I knew this would be tricky.  I found the perfect heart and printed out several on 11x17 inch paper so I could use them for patterns. This print size made each heating pad about 14" across at the widest point.

Next, I went to Joann Fabrics and purchased a 1 yard piece of a pretty red velvet. The price was pretty steep but thanks to a Joann's 50%-off coupon, I saved a little.  Flannel would also be a nice material to use for the heating pad but, I wanted to make it luxurious.  I then pinned the hearts to the fabric and cut them out. I then sewed the right sides together, leaving about a 1" opening towards the bottom, so I could fill it.  I used a chop stick to help me turn it right-side-out and to push the edges out.  One-half yard of fabric made 5 heating pads. Here they are pre-stuffing.

The next step was to fill the heating pads and stitch them closed.  It was an easy step, but I need to improve on my hand-stitching. Here are the completed heating pads.

The girls really liked them, and I know it won't be long before one of them is used. They turned out so nice, that I also gave them to a couple of women at work. 

Now, I have to find something for next year…oh boy.

I also made several cards to mail out for Valentines Day.  I have adopted the idea to find a card I like and make several of them at one time.  Makes it easier to make a lot of cards.

And, for the first time, Daughter #1 and I decorated the mantle for Valentines Day.  Here it is from the angle of the couch. Daughter #1 made the I'm falling for you last year and Daughter #3 screen printed the Te quiero picture for my birthday last year.

Also, in looking back, I realized I didn't include a picture of the card that I made for my sons first wedding anniversary from last fall.

Well, it's off to making St. Patricks Day cards and decorating the mantle for Easter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment