Monday, November 16, 2009

Assignment #1

What are your holiday values? Those things we treasure most, and the hopes we have for ourselves and our families during the holiday season?

Family, together time, traditions, creating memories.

I would like for us to be together more this season. We've experienced some difficult times in our family and have come to realize that we are not always going to be able to have everyone together. I am sad to think that Jordan cannot be with us this holiday season. It makes me sad to think that I too could have a holiday without a child being there. They are all getting older and it seems that it won't be long before they will have other commitments and responsibilities that will take them away. I joke that it won't be long before it will be just Matt and I but, reality is, it won't. We had so many years of rushing around to one event or another, driving to games, practices, performances, shopping, decorating, baking, entertaining that to realize within the next two years - all of our children will be on their own (or away at school). Wow - I will actually clean the house and it will stay that way for longer than 10 minutes. I look in their bedrooms and realize that within the next two years, they are simply going to be empty shells of what they use to be. In another four years, they will become guest rooms for when someone comes to visit. That reminds me, I need to take pictures now to show that they were lived in.

I want to strengthen the girls desire for tradition and holidays with family. I don't want them to get to the place where they think it's easier not going home and just calling instead. I want to always be surrounded by my family, my children, their children (when its' time). :) I want memories of the kids sitting around playing games, having fun, laughing and enjoying each others' company. I remember growing up with cousins and playing with them and having fun but after my grandmother died - that was it. No more gatherings. Is that what is going to happen for my children?

Wow - I want a lot. I believe in order to achieve any of this - I have to start. I have to commit - I need list things that can achieve these goals. I have to stop being lazy and commit to being present and involved. What are things I can do to realize my goals:

Commit to attending church with Caitlin each week. Can we both commit to attending St. Francis with Matt? Can I overcome my displeasure with Fr. Bob to attend church? How can I adjust my attitude so that this will change?

We need to carve out a time for "family dinners" again. Maybe Sunday is not the day for us. Why not a week night? Can we all commit to making it to dinner one day a week? I need to talk to the family about this.




No comments:

Post a Comment